is world wide known as
area was a terribly populated place called Kanda in
area began to be specialized in electrics in the latter half of 1940’s. After
the Pacific war ended in 1945, many dealers gathered here and sold parts of
radio on the street. GHQ, the name of the occupation authorities, ordered them
to be packed in a barrack under the elevated railroad of JR, then national
railways. Gradually the shops increased
and developed into the world’s biggest electric town.
the recent years, many shops dealing in animation related culture have appeared
in the area. In addition to conventional shops, so-called cosplay, “costume
play cafe” where waitresses are dressed up like animation characters, or manga kissa “comics cafe” are found on the
Akihabara station(right) and Radio hall building(left) where small sized shops are selling
various kinds of parts of electrical equipment or computers.
There are several duty free shops for foreigners.
There had been a vegetable market in the area.
The place was redeveloped and several new buildings appeared.
Akihabara continues to change.
Back to Home
Back to Index of Towns
Go to the Sitemap
Go to the Japanese Edition